The reasons for hair loss can be many and varied. Here’s a list of ten possible reasons why you might be losing it:
- Normal hair loss. We all lose about 100 hairs a day. It’s nothing to worry about.
- Seasonal hair loss. Believe it or not, according to research we shed more hair in autumn than any other time of year.
- Postpartum hair loss. OK this one is only going to affect a woman after giving birth as her hormones return to normal. Although it’s pretty unpleasant, the good news is that it’s strictly temporary in most cases.
- Getting older. Androgenic alopecia, also known as male and female pattern baldness is dependent on your genetic makeup and there’s no known cure.
- Alopecia areata. This can strike both sexes and at any age. Unlike the androgenic version this one is thought to be an autoimmune condition where the body effective starts to attack itself.
- Stress related hair Loss. This one is becoming more common, particularly among women. The symptoms can be thinning and unexplained loss or even a form of self harm where anxiety is relieved by actually pulling the hair out at the roots.
- Other medications. There are several medications that can cause hair loss, the most commonly known of which is chemotherapy. Hair loss could also be a sign of an underlying medical condition like diabetes.
- Poor diet. It’s true that poor diet and vitamin deficiency can result in hair loss. Think of your hair as a barometer of your general well being
- Hair extensions. If they’re not fitted properly then these can cause a lot of damage through traction alopecia. If you’ve got to wear them then get them fitted by a professional.
- Too much styling. Over doing the look can cause all kinds of problems. Think about the constant regime of heat from dryers and tongs, colourants, vigorous towel drying and the long term damage that you might be causing.
Whatever the reason for hair loss it’s always best to seek the advice of a professional if it’s causing you any concern. We’re always happy here at His Hair Clinic to offer a free consultation to discuss your condition and the various treatments. Why not give us a call or fill in the form to the right of this article?