Just like the rest of your body, your hair needs regular maintenance and care so that it can stay healthy and looking impeccably groomed. However it’s possible that some of your grooming habits may actually be doing more harm than good on your hair. Without understanding the harms behind some of your habits, you could be creating permanent and irreversible problems such as split ends, dry scalp and uncontrollably frizzy hair.
- Over-washing your hair, although clean hair is desirable, washing your hair too much can strip the natural oils from your scalp. The natural oils play a role in keeping your hair shiny and protected. Washing your hair too often can also cause your hair dye to fade quickly, which is why experts recommend only washing your hair once every two to three days. If you suffer from oiliness, than you can use a dry shampoo to increase the amount of time between your hair washes. If you work out regularly, then use simple water to rinse your scalp.
- Hot showers, if you use water that is too hot you could be stripping away the natural oils on your body and scalp. This in return can cause your scalp to overproduce oil in order to compensate – which can even lead to dandruff.
- Improper diet, by depriving your body of essential nutrients, your hair will be the first to suffer. Proteins, minerals and vitamins are all crucial for healthy hair growth.
- Wet styling, wet hair is weaker than dry hair so resist the temptation to brush or comb your hair straight out of the shower. If you absolutely must detangle your hair before it dries, use a wide tooth comb or a specialised detangling hair brush starting from the ends so that you can minimise hair damage.
- Using too much hair product, less is always more. By using excessive amounts of shampoo or conditioner, can weigh down the hair and promote greasiness at the scalp. Aim to use only one styling product and one finishing product sparingly to avoid clogging the pores in the scalp and greasiness.